Cell Design Associate - Bacteria
Asimov’s Cell Design Team programs living cells to achieve previously impossible applications across biotechnology.
Position: We are seeking a full-time Cell Design Associate to engineer bacteria with unconventional functions. You will work closely with the Cell Design Director and use the latest molecular biology, quantitative cell measurement, and -omics analysis techniques. The ideal candidate is obsessed with the question of how to best engineer complex biological systems. This is a unique opportunity to work at a nimble, forward-thinking synthetic biology startup and help build the foundation for engineering biology.
As part of the Cell Design Team, you will:
- Design, build, and test innovative genetic platforms and programs in bacteria
- Create experimental workflows and collect quantitative measurements for engineered cells including flow cytometry and RNA-seq
- Analyze and distill insight from complex molecular data streams
- Collaborate frequently with the Compute Team to incorporate biological design principles and experimental data into the software pipeline
- Communicate methods and results with other scientists, industry executives, and academic researchers
- Organize and document experiments, plasmids, and data
- Work effectively as part of a multifunctional team in support of a synthetic biology design platform
- B.S. in Biological Engineering, Biology, or a related field
- 1+ years of experience doing research in an academic or industry lab setting
- Skilled in molecular biology and microbiology methods
- Ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Training in computational modeling of biological systems a plus
- Experience in flow cytometry, transcriptomics, and analytical techniques a plus
- Experience with gene editing techniques a plus
About us: We’re fueled by a vision to transition synthetic biology to a fully-fledged engineering discipline. You will grow with a dynamic organization, and push the frontiers of biological engineering. Culture is key to Asimov - we believe that our mission can only be achieved by a diverse team that brings a mixture of perspectives to creating a future powered by engineered biology.